February 3, 2011

Zucchini Mexicali

Every year my father in-law plants a huge garden where I get a majority of my ingredients.
Zucchini Mexicali is a childhood favorite of mine that I used to make with my grandmother.
This was made from last summers garden, I can't wait to see what we'll have to work with this summer.

Here is what you need:
1 whole Medium Zucchini Sliced Thin
1  Small Onion, Chopped
1  Green Pepper, Chopped
1  Red Pepper, Chopped
2 Tablespoons Jalapeno Chooped
1 teaspoon Basil
½ cup Taco Sauce
1 teaspoon Yellow Mustard
Shredded Cheese, For Topping (optional)

Start by warming a nonstick pan.
Add just enough water to coat the bottom (you can also use veggie broth).
Add veggies and jalapenos.
Simmer for a few minutes until onions start to look clear.
Add basil, cover and cook a few more minutes until all veggies are soft.
Add in taco sauce and mustard.
Let this heat for about 5 minutes.
At this point you can adjust the flavor if needed by adding more mustard or taco sauce.
Before serving, I like to add a little shredded cheese and sour cream to the top.
This can be eaten as a main dish or side dish.
This recipe will be enough for two people as a main dish or four people as a side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment