February 15, 2011

Easy Biscuts and Sasuage Gravy

This is something I made on a whim and it actually tuned out GREAT! My husband had friends over and I needed a quick meal that would fill them up. I had not been to the grocery store in a while and I was worried that they might just be out of luck but I opened the pantry and saw Bisquick. I knew I had milk and a partial roll of Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sausage in the freezer so I thought pancakes and sausage, when I flipped the box over to get the pancake recipe I saw the recipe for the biscuits and that's when I decided to experiment. Side Note: I ALWAYS keep a roll of Jimmy Dean hot sausage or breakfast sausage in my freezer. I cut a little off here and there to toss in my spaghetti sauce, breakfast burritos stuffed zucchini, and in many other things.

So here is what I did

I mixed the biscuits according to the package. Something along the lines of 2 1/2 cups of Bisquick and 2/3 cup of milk. Dropped them on the baking sheet at 350 and baked them for about 12 minutes.

While they were baking I tossed the partial roll of frozen sausage on a plate and stuck in the microwave for a few minutes to thaw. I heated a large skillet over med heat and added the semi-thawed sausage to the pan. I used a flat edge wooden spoon to chop the sausage up in the pan as it cooked so that when it was done it was broken down in to small bite sized pieces. I then tossed in roughly 4 Tbs of flour and cooked that with the sausage for about another minute or two. I slowly whisked in the rest of the milk that I had and it was still a little to thick. So I had a skiff or half and half left and a skiff of heavy whipping cream left. I dumped them in and it thinned it right out.*Note the second time I did this I ran out of milk as well and just used about a 1/2 cup water and it still tasted wonderful*  I cooked it a little longer and added salt and pepper. Needless to say they scarfed it down and came looking for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment